May 23 2017 09:48 AM
I love this place, especially for breakfast. Not fancy-schmantzy, not out-of-this-world, not cutting edge, though not tradition-crippled either, with old favorites done very well and often pushed a bit further.
• Buttermilk biscuits with ginger rhubarb jam
• Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread with honey and butter
• Spring Cobb Salad with Pt. Reyes blue cheese, 7-herbs chicken breast, avocado, house bacon, pickled onions, asparagus, and snap peas
• Stone ground grits with shrimp-sausage gravy, bacon, and green onions
• Oyster Sandwich of Pacific Coast oysters, arugula, remoulade, & bacon on a roll with butter bean salad and juniper pickled red onions
• Poached eggs with tasso ham, buttermilk biscuit, and hollandaise served with side salad
The only real swing-and-a-miss is their truly awful vanilla syrup on pancakes, waffles, and French toast. We smuggle in our own maple syrup. I’m also not a fan of Nashville fried chicken in general (cayenne, chili and garlic powder, and spicy spicy spicy oil) but that’s just a matter of my personal taste.
The Fremont Diner is a little hipstery around the edges, OK, but only around the edges and not so much on the plate.
Bette’s in Berkeley is still better in most regards, yet…
May 18 2017 03:12 PM
Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III
May 12 2017 07:45 AM
May 10 2017 11:33 AM
Ms Ryan’s graduation speech for young women everywhere:
May 09 2017 11:45 AM
This was a truly remarkable and even radical song for its time, and this is a truly remarkable live performance.
May 04 2017 12:33 PM
Word from California.